Info Archive

SharePoint Twitter Hash Tags

Posted January 7, 2014 By Kevin Bennett

No new items as of late, I have not been able to dedicate any of my time to SharePoint but have been spending most of my efforts on SystemAdmin and Manager Tasks.
But wanted to post that I do follow #SharePoint and #SPHelp hash tags on twitter. You should too….

Users listed in People Picker

Posted November 26, 2012 By Kevin Bennett

Here are some quick notes I ran into when working with our People Picker, or list of all users on Sharepoint 2010.

To see all users of the site: http://SiteAddress/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx

But you cant delete multiple, can only delete each, so go to:

This will let you delete mutiple users at a time .. huge time saver.


but our people picker was still finding users from the old domain, So i found this:,v=office.14).aspx

And set the PeoplePicker to only search our current domain for users. with command:
stsadm -o setsiteuseraccountdirectorypath -path “DC=,DC=local” -url https://SiteCollectionURL

Be the first to comment

I know even as I was doing it that I was just being lazy. The issue was that each day I run a bitlocker script to update a chart of bitlockered machines on our intranet. The hard part (..right) was that I needed to manually create an Item in a Summary Graph so the numbers look pretty for my manager. In this list I had title, date, Bitlocker Yes, Bitlocker No. So basically I just needed to enter 4 things each morning. Being that I am a sys admin with the motto of work smarter and not harder 4 items to enter was WAY too much for me to bother with. So of course I set date to default to Today but needed a way to set the title to “MM-DD Report” (don’t judge me on originality, my manager liked it).

Simply added to the Title Column Default Setting Calculated with

=TEXT([TODAY],"MM-DD") & " Report"

So now I only have to enter 2 columns.
Now to figure out How to auto populate those other 2 fields and I might be able to sleep in an extra 5 minutes.

Be the first to comment

Real quick before I forget:

Got the following error day on our Development Sharepoint 2010 server when I attempted to delete a Web Application.

“The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT:0x80131040)”

Did an IISRESET on the application server and was able to delete

I believe this was because I was making changes to the web application and maybe it wasnt in sync with the DB?



Be the first to comment

ULViewer – You are my bitch

Posted May 31, 2012 By Kevin Bennett

Let me just say, if you are not using ULViewer or don’t have it in your toolkit .. you should.

What it does: You know that cryptic error message you get in sharepoint .. come on, you know ..the Correlation ID: alksdlkjf-234l3245-0sllksdf-234234. Yeah that awesome error that tells you exactly what is wrong (not)! Well the ULViewer will shed some light on what is happening on your site when that error is generated.

So jump over to your Web Front End server and fire up ULViewer. Select File, Open, ULS Logs. Now Bring up the browser and reproduce that error. Jump back to ULViewer and press pause. Scroll up and look for the event code. You see it … now read the details.

I have found that 4 out of 5 times (that’s the tv version of math, not the scientific) that it will actually tell you what is wrong, either a missing file, missing feature .. etc.

Now use it .. and use it often.

Be the first to comment

What an ordeal. After numerous errors and features that were not installed on the new server I finally get to a point where I believe I can import a site (our intranet) to the development server I have set up.

But , you noticed i said believe .. Another error. This one stating “Error: Cannot import site. The exported site is based on the template SPS#0 but the destination site is based on the template STS#1. You can import sites only into sites that are based on same template as the exported site.”

Well Crap, I vaguely remember running into this in the past and couldn’t for the life of me remember how I fixed it (I had slept since then).

I knew that I didn’t pick the right Site Template (in this case I picked Blank Site) and a quick search confirmed that STS#1 was a Team Site, and SPS#0 was a Sharepoint Server Portal Site but I couldn’t find “Sharepoint Server Portal Site” in my list of Templates to install. Well that is because the Template is obsolete… Great … thank you MS. But don’t fret, although it is obsolete you can still install it, just not with the GUI.

To create a site with Template SPS#0 Do this…

Create a Powershell Script with the following code and run it:


$template = Get-SPWebTemplate “SPS#0”
New-SPSite -Url “YourSiteUrl” -OwnerAlias “Domain\UserNameAccount” -Template $template


There you go.


Be the first to comment

Sharepoint 2010 user AD Permissions not updating

Posted April 23, 2012 By Kevin Bennett

Needed to add a new user “immediately” to have access to a site. No it was needed immediately, but lack of planning on someone’s part made it appear to be immediate. So I added to the AD group and went home.

…. 15 minutes later I get a call that they still can’t access the site, so double checked that I put the user in the correct AD group. Well I did but when I went to permissions for the site and tested the user permission it didn’t show up.

So a quick search revealed that when using Claims based Authentication there is a default property setting called token-timeout and it is set for 1440 minutes (24 hours)

To View and change this do the following:

stsadm -o getproperty -propertyname token-timeout

This will get your default setting

stsadm -o setproperty -propertyname token-timeout -propertyvalue

I ran this on my app server


Be the first to comment
%d bloggers like this: